Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Gringa Plays Soccer With Hondurans

So I've now played soccer 4 times. For a non-soccer player to jump in and play with Hondurans and various other gringos (almost all of whom played at least in high school) was bold. Really. I've played 4 times now. The first time was a fail. I ran around the field in a state of confusion and fright.

The second time was even more of a fail. You know that desire to be perfect? Well, it really sucks when you've got that desire and you are TERRIBLE at something. And then even worse, your frustration gets in the way. Well that was me on attempt number 2. Not only was I confused about the rules (I don't think we even got to offsides in my YMCA soccer team...I quit by the age of like 8), but I was also frustrated by being so terrible. And then I got mad at myself for being so frustrated about being so bad. Haha, not fun. But everyone was encouraging, and I finally got back in the game and wasn't quite so caught up in worrying about being terrible.

Times 3 and 4 got progressively better! Now I don't worry about getting in the way...I just run and go for it! I have a few bruises to prove it.

And what better way to avoid going for a jog? My exercising options here are: running, Gillian Michaels workout video (possibly the most ridiculous human being ever), and soccer. Unfortunately, I have to go for a jog today. But Natalia and I go together, and occasionally a little boy on the street runs with us, which is really cute. And encouraging...when a 6 year old is about to beat you, you need to pick up the pace.

We're almost done with the second week of camp! Megan and I definitely have a system now. And our 7th grade helpers Irma and Fabiola are lifesavers.  Today, one girl, Pabely, gave me a plastic orange flower ring, and another girl, Kyara, gave me a pink beaded bracelet!  So precious!

Not sure what the plan is for this weekend...maybe Cusuco, Lago de Ojoa, or Tela? We'll see, but I'm sure an excellent blog will follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment