Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Brief Beach Weekend

I have just returned from the beach!

On Friday evening, we stayed in Cofradia, playing an intense game of soccer (my bruise--proof of fierceness--grew larger).  That evening, we all took it easy and just hung out, and a few of the year-long teachers for SJBS (who arrived last week) came over to the house to join.  I was INCREDIBLY tired, so I went to sleep incredibly early, about 10.  Actually, 10 hasn't been that early here.  Because the sun is so bright so early in the morning, and because I have to wake up early for camp anyways, I generally go to sleep around 10:30.  In any case, I was especially tired on Friday, and learned later (around 2 am) that it was because I was sick.

Before anyone throws me a pity party, don't worry.  Having some sort of stomach problems in Honduras has become the norm. We're used to stomach problems of all sorts.  But my brief sickness did lead to an uncomfortable Saturday, a loss of appetite, and an uncomfortable bus ride to the BEACH!

On Saturday morning, we left at about 8 am to go to Tela, a beach city a few hours away.  After arriving (and after Natalia and Maddie roamed around to find one), we settled into a hostel, put on sunscreen and bathing suits, and went to the beach!  The sun is incredibly bright in Tela, so it was very hot. Despite sunscreen application, we all got at least a teensy bit burned.  The water felt greeeattttt though.  And I LOVE THE BEACH and swimming too¡ (This mac just changed languages and so the punctuation just got a bit funky. I apologize for any confusion this may cause¡)

At one point, a group of us walked down to the pier and ended up jumping off¡ It was great¡ The Hondurans that were jumping too thought it was pretty funny to have some random gringas come join in, which added to the humor.  As we walked back down the pier (and when I say pier, imagine one that looks like it might fall apart at any point while you walk down it), a guy in the water yelled, :No No NOO¡ If you leave, I;ll be bored¡: in perfect English.   (again, sorry for the punctuation problem¡) He continued by asking for our numbers as we walked away.  Later, he walked by our towels on the beach and asked for our numbers again.

That night, we all went out to dinner. We split into 2 groups, and I went with half to a seafood restaurant.  I wanted to ear fried shrimp so badly, but due to my recent stomach problems, I (sadly) opted for some pasta...which was still delicious.  The beachfront restaurant took FOREVER, so I ended up leaving it with Maddie and Megan to go straight back to the hostel and sleep, rather than joining some others to go out for a bit.

We went back to the beach this morning, then took the bus back to Cofradia.  To leave and to come back from often involves a bus change at the terminal in San Pedro Sula. Which happens to have a food court.   Which happens to have a pizza hut.  I realize that this is not the most intelligent thing to do to a sensitive stomach, but I got a personal cheese pizza, and it was DELICIOUS. Seriously good stuff.  So far so good with the stomach issues and cheese pizza¡

On to the next week of camp¡ This week is underwater themed. I;m thinking we;ll be watching Finding Nemo at some point¡

No comments:

Post a Comment