Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Couple of Opportunities to Drown...

This weekend has been great! I've really had a good, relaxing, fun, exciting weekend.

On Friday, a group of us went to play soccer.  After playing for a bit, it started to rain, which is not really an unusual occurrence or a problem.  So we kept playing, and it started MONSOONING. Our shoes were drenched, so we started playing barefoot. The water was pooling on the field so every time you kicked it (as hard as you could), it would go like 4 feet max.  After attempting to play like this for a while, we slowly but surely started all leaving the game to run and slide down the field or cartwheel, and just run around being crazy.  It was so fun! It really was an awesome afternoon. 

I was also told at one point, "I was going to say that you were the least graceful person I'd ever met, and then you did those cartwheels and redeemed yourself."  Me, laughing: "Do you realize I'm a ballet dancer?" Apparently my dancing skillz leave me graceless on the futbol field. :)

On Saturday morning, we left around 7 am to take a bus to Lago de Yojoa.  We split up into 2 groups: one for a long hike, and one for a shorter.  I was on team short hike. We ended up roaming around a beauuuuutiful archeological park near the lake. It was great, but we were all tired.  We came back to our hotel at the D & D Brewery, a really cozy place run by an American, and took naps. I was staying in a cozy little cabin with 3 others, but they were all on the longer hike, so I had the place to myself. I ordered a freshly made limonada, some nachos, and read my book. I then took A HOT SHOWER. It was amazing, really.  When team long hike got back, they all showered, and we stayed at the brewery, just hanging out.  It was a really cool place. They made all of their food and drinks, so everything was tasty.  They had different flavored homemade sodas, strawberry, rasberry, and apricot beers, and lots of other deliciousness.  A man who has a bar in San Pedro also led a game of trivia.  My team lost in the tie-breaker, but we still got a consolation prize!  We only had so much success because of a Honduran named Rafael who joined us at our table.  He knew many answers because he had played regularly at the bar in San P!  He was also successfully creepy.

If you ever find yourself in Lago de Yojoa, you should stay at the D & D Brewery. Great prices, great people, and a great time is destined to be had by all.

This morning, we had a great breakfast at the brewery, then left to head to the Pulhapanzak Waterfalls.  TERRIFYING, BUT AWESOME. We literally climbed up into a waterfall. The water was pouring onto you, so you couldn't see anything.  The guide was somewhat of a comfort, but it really was terrifying. We also got to jump into the water from rocks at various heights.  At one point, we jumped either 25 feet or 25 meters, the guide had a translation moment and told us both.  Awesome, but scary.  There is no way this would be advertised/recommended in America for tourists.  So scary, but so awesome.


Tomorrow begins the last week of camp! Dinosaur themed!  Also, 5 days til I head off to Argentina to meet mi hermano!  Shout out to my big bro, who turns 22 on Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment