Monday, November 14, 2011

Poisoned by Spanish Food...and some Davidson love on the side

So last weekend, my group took a trip to Granada.  2 Important things came of that trip:

1.  I was able to eat lunch with the lovely Corinne Hester!  It was the first time I had seen anyone from my "past life." Seriously, I'd gone 2 months without seeing a single soul from my pre-Sevilla life.  So needless to say, when I rounded the corner of my hotel, distracted by trying to get to my phone so I could call Corinne, and looked up...I was SO HAPPY! There she was! It was a fantastic moment, a fantastic lunch (did you know that when you order a drink in Granada, you get a free tapa? Why hasn't this passed on to other parts of Spain??), and just great to see Corinne!!

2. FOOD POISONING. Seriously, one of the worst evenings of my Spanish existence.  On Monday, I had just changed clothes to go run to a contemporary dance class, when Meital (my roommate) convinced me that I was tired, felt a bit weird, and would be okay if I skipped a day of exercise.  After a quick nap, BAM. FOOD POISONING.  I'd never had it before, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it. I shortly learned that at least 5 people in my group were also sick, and by the next day, almost half of the 20 person group was either sick or feeling so close to sick that they spent all day in bed.  My host family took care of me, bringing me aquarius (kinda like gatorade, with some electrolytes and such) and manzanilla (chamomile tea).  But I literally spent all day in bed on Tuesday, drinking aquarius and manzanilla, barely eating, sleeping, and studying for my midterm the next day.  By Wednesday, I had enough strength to go to class, but honestly didn't feel completely recuperated until yesterday! A whole week of feeling a bit weak. Not fun, but I'm okay now!

Granada also involved the Catedral, Capilla Real (where los reyes catolicos are buried!), and Alhambra...all of which were very cool, very old, and super-llena de historia.

So on Wednesday, in addition to being kinda weak and going to 8 hours of class, I also flew to Barcelona!! I spent Thursday morning with Joan and her friend from high school touring the Sagrada Familia and Park Guell.  The Sagrada Familia was awesome!  I thought I would find it weird...and it was weird...but I also thought it was beautiful.  On Thursday afternoon, I was headed to the elevator of my hostel to spend some quality time reading Harry Potter 3 (in Spanish)  while waiting for Rachel Kilman to arrive when BAM. The elevator opened, and there was Rach!!! Exciting Davidson reunion #2.

So then Rachel and I spent the rest of the weekend bonding, avoiding our weird hostel roommates-and their French friends- (first a Swiss woman, then some other American students), and checking out Barcelona! Gaudi's stuff is all over the place: we were a block from Casa Battlo, another few blocks from Casa Mila, Sagrada Familia, Park Guell, etc, = Gaudi everywhere! We also went on a free tour of the Gothic Quarter (where our rude hostel mates did not tip our unpaid guide), so that was cool to check out.

On Friday evening, Rachel and I were strolling through the main shopping area when we ran into another Davidson person, totally by coincidence! Her friends from Davidson had been planning on meeting her, but flight problems, etc, had left her alone to explore Barcelona. So on Saturday, we met Mary Kemp for a really cool and tasty dinner at a nice little restaurant.  So much Davidson love!!

By Sunday at noon, I was back in my little home in Sevilla, back on my perch on my bed, and dreaming of a siesta...

But by Sunday afternoon, I had had my FIRST FOUNTAIN DRINK IN 2 MONTHS!! Liz and I met at the McDonald's near our program's office to work on a partner paper (on printing and engraving, ooh la la), and I gave in and did the American thing: got a fountain drink. So good. They just (sadly) don't do fountain drinks in most parts of the world, but I thoroughly enjoyed mine.

The fountain drink and the fact that I have only about a month left in Sevilla have made me think about the things I'll really want as soon as I get home. And I've concluded that I'll probably want my dad to make me a big American cheeseburger before I can eat out at any sort of restaurant. I mean, I really don't crave American foods much here, surprisingly. Only if I really think of it or have some sort of taste-bud reminder. Like today, for instance, when Alexa brought me one of the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that she and Livvy made this weekend. Ohhh the good tastes of America......

No comments:

Post a Comment