Sunday, October 9, 2011

Remember that time it was October, but still 90 degrees?

So, it's still 90 degrees. Well, to be more accurate, the temperature in Sevilla ranges from a high of 85 and 94 in this crisp autumn month of October. And frankly, I'm ready to wear jeans. I'm always a fan of summer, ALWAYS. I love everything summer stands for: beaches, peaches, swimming, dresses, and general summer happiness. But I really am ready for it to be a bit cooler! Everyone else on my program finds this heat so bizarre. Half go to North Western near Chicago, so they're used to bitter cold in the winter. And well, we won't be getting anywhere near that here in Sevilla!  But even I am not used to having a summer quite this long! Today, a group of about 8 of us took a day trip to Cadiz (the beach!).  It was perfect weather to spend a few hours on the beach, eat some pescaito frito (fried fish...except the restaurant was closed on Sundays so we ate random tapas instead), and head back to Sevilla.  It's about an hour and 45 minutes away by train, and a great way to spend a Sunday, because well, obviously I don't have homework to do. That's a whole 'nother issue...

The Spanish educational system seems a bit bizarre to me. I'm still trying to figure it out, but the general understanding is that there are very few daily assignments. Whereas at Davidson, I'd be reading at least 30 pages of something to prepare for each class, buying a book and reading it for class is basically optional. You're certainly not going to discuss reading in class the next day, so buying a book that the teacher may or may not recommend is really up to you...a personal preference! So, homework doesn't happen super often.
I don't mean to say that I don't work! I've already given a presentation on the country Estonia in my European Union class and written a paper on the American stereotypes of Europe in the movie Eurotrip. And done a few other things...

But, when you're comparing a typical Sunday in Sevilla with a typical Sunday at Davidson....well, writing this blog is the most work I've put in. But that's why I'm going to fill my Sundays with travel! Starting very shortly, I'm going to be a travelling fiend. Tuesday, I'm headed to Portugal with my friend Joan. And on Friday, we'll be joined by my lovely parents! And then the next weekend I'll head to the north of Spain with the padres. And the next weekend to Istanbul, and the next to Granada, and the next to Barcelona, and well, you get the point. I'm not going to be staying put. Because I just want to see the world!!

Now for a bit of a back track of things I've done since the last blog post:

1. Sinogoga: In true religion major fashion, I went with my friend Stef to the teensy little Synagogue here in Sevilla. I'd never been to any sort of Jewish service, so it was really cool! And Stef answered all of my questions! And now I'm more enlightened. Flashback to the first few weeks of the program: I also went to mass in Sevilla's Catedral with my friend Joan. Lots of relig-maj-moments.

2. Ronda: Our group went to visit Ronda, a small town nearby Sevilla that has a REALLY awesome bridge, some Arabic baths, and the oldest Plaza de Toros ever. Stef and I ended up taking the free time we had to climb down a hill to the bottom of the awesome bridge...and it was totally worth it. Beautiful views, beautiful photos, and even a beautiful German student that was also checking out the bridge.

3. Sarah gets Antsy: After the Ronda trip, I got antsy to travel more. These group day trips are lovely, but I'm ready to go places! Well, my wish comes true in 2 days when I leave Sevilla on a midnight bus to Lisbon (Lisboa), Portugal.

4. Classes: I've now survived 2 weeks of official classes (in classrooms that usually seem to function without air conditioning...in a really old awesome building, but a really hot old awesome building). 2 weeks also only means 6 days. I only have class Monday through Wednesday!  That does mean that I have 8 hours of class on Wednesday though...a bit like death, but I make it through. My classes? La Proyección de las Tres Culturas: Cristianos, Musulmanes, y Judíos en España Medieval; La Influencia Árabe en la Literatura Española; Técnicas Artísticas; La Unión Europea. Some are more interesting than others, but they do the trick.


5. Bought Flamenco Shoes: I'm taking weekly flamenco classes (Sevillanas being the specific type of flamenco) with my roommate Meital and friend Maddie from an awesome and funny teacher named Carmen. I bought the official shoes, which make me much more legit. They're kinda like character shoes (for my fellow dancers), but a bit different. They're designed to make a bit more noise when you dance.


6. Cordoba: I went to Cordoba for the 3rd time in my life! I went with my fam in high school and the Cadiz group when I studied in Cadiz last summer. La Mezquita de Cordoba es tan impresionante, but I got the point of how beautiful the mosque was after time number 2.  In any case, it was a fun little trip, but I'm ready for big trips to new places!! Portugal in 2 days!


7. Discoteca with Meital's new Spanish friends: Apparently, there are mosh pit moments in Spanish discotecas...that is, if you find yourself in a dubstep discoteca. I'd never heard that word til last night (to my friends' dismay), but it basically is some intense techno type of music.  Not generally a situation you'd picture sweet Sarah in? Well, think again.


8. Cadiz: see earlier paragraph.




And now, I'm here in my room looking writing a really long blog and looking forward to a few things: 1. a 2 day week (Spain has a holiday Wednesday!) 2. heading to Portugal! 3. Seeing Buncie and Jay-los padres llegan en Portugal el viernes! 


That's the update for now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment